Digital Matter Joins Australia’s B-Cycle Scheme as Associate Partners
We are excited to announce that Digital Matter has joined Australia’s B-Cycle Scheme as Associate Partners!
Launched this year by the Battery Stewardship Council (BSC), the B-cycle Scheme is a battery recycling program authorized by the Australian Competition & Consumer Commission (ACCC) with the support of both State and Federal Government that ensures the endless amounts of batteries used each year are kept out of landfill. The B-cycle Scheme will lead Australia’s endeavor to properly recycle batteries through a network of easily accessible drop-off locations in retail spaces.
It is estimated that nearly 90% of batteries are being disposed of directly to landfill each year in Australia, which may lead to toxic chemical spills and can even cause dangerous fires. Therefore, it is crucial to reduce the number of batteries being used each year and recycle them in a safe and environmentally responsible way.
Our Battery-Powered GPS Trackers use a combination of Alkaline and Lithium batteries, with a battery life of over 10+ years, depending on the use case! Utilizing the latest LPWA networks such as LTE-M, NB-IoT, and LoRaWAN, in addition to introducing a breadth of intelligent power management features, we have significantly increased our devices’ battery life while reducing environmental waste and overall operating costs.
As an Associate Partner to the Scheme, we promise to:
- Give purchase and/or supply preference to other accredited B-cycle participants
- Ensure that all used batteries are provided to B-cycle accredited recyclers for environmentally sound disposal
- Comply with legal and other requirements, including B-cycle standards and procedures for quality, traceability, environment, and work health and safety
- Ensure that used batteries generated through our own operations are disposed of through accredited battery stewards
- Advocating for battery stewardship and circular economy principles
- Improve best practices in quality, environment, safety, and traceability
- Engage with the BSC to enable improvements to be made in policy, programs, and communications
We encourage our partners within Australia to also partake in this initiative. For more information, you can visit the Battery Stewardship Council website here: https://bsc.org.au/about-membership/