Introducing the Hawk IoT Datalogger for Sensor Monitoring
The Hawk is our new multi-functional IoT data logger that supports sensor monitoring applications coming soon in Cellular LTE-M (Cat-M1) / NB-IoT and IoT Satellite versions.
Status: Currently prototyping. NPI run Q2 2022. Full production Q3 2022. Subject to change.
The Hawk adopts a versatile approach to IoT sensor monitoring hardware. Utilizing modular plug-in “IO Cards” that provide the interface and the smarts to connect to a huge range of sensors, the Hawk will support hundreds of IoT sensor monitoring applications!
The Hawk motherboard provides fundamental IoT data logger services and will be available in different communication technologies:
- Power supply, Li-Po rechargeable battery and battery charging circuitry
- Non-volatile memory for data storage
- GPS location
- Scheduling of tasks (i.e. polling sensors), or run tasks on event (i.e. input change)
- Communication of data (different motherboard versions for different options) – LTE-M/NB-IoT, LoRaWAN, IoT Satellite
- IO Card Interface
Multiple Power Options
The Hawk features a large rechargeable Li-Po battery pack to support multiple power options:
- Wired to power with backup battery
- May be charged and deployed in the field for a season before recharging
- Can be wired directly to a 12V solar panel
The sensor interfaces and protocol are managed by Hawk “IO Cards” – a range of plug-in Input/Output cards standardized for common applications.
Agtech1 IO Card Example:
- Boost voltage (5V or 12V selectable output) to power probes / sensors
- I2C interface
- 3.3V switched power for sensors
- Switched ground digital output
- Digital input with pulse counting
- 4-20 mA input•1-wire (i-button)
Image: Sample IO Card – Agtech1
Custom cards can be designed for your use case. You may also develop your own firmware on the card if required to cater for advanced or custom sensor integrations, implementing proprietary algorithms, filtering and processing, implementing PLC or control functionality, and more.
What is an IoT Datalogger?
IoT Dataloggers are electronic devices that record and transmit critical asset or environmental data via onboard or external sensors.
In IoT applications, captured data can be transmitted via low-power-wide-area networks (LPWANs) such as Cellular LTE-M/NB-IoT, LoRaWAN® and IoT Satellite networks, to an end software platform for processing and analysis.
Dataloggers vary between ‘general purpose’ sensor monitoring for a range of measurement applications (temperature, humidity, tank level, vibration, soil moisture), to very specific devices for measuring in one environment or application-type only.
Common Applications of IoT Data Logging include:
- Agricultural Measurements: soil moisture, temperature, pH, conductivity
- Environmental/Cold Chain Monitoring – Temperature, humidity
- Tank Level
- Flow Rate (pulse counting on tanks)
- Wind Speed / Direction
- Rainfall (pulse count on tipping rain gauge)
- Door or gate open/close
Get in touch with us today to learn more about IoT sensor monitoring solutions or The Hawk IoT Datalogger.